Monday, October 01, 2007

Celebrations


Yesterday, Pop (the grand leader of the Cottle clan) celebrated his 81st birthday. As I was thinking of his celebration I rejoiced that the Lord brought him into my life. Not only is he a good father, husband, grandfather, great-grandfather he is also a great in law!

It is very seldom in this life that you find people outside of your own family that you feel so close to that you consider them your own blood. Even greater is when the feeling is reciprocated. There are many times that you don't feel close to some of your own blood family, so when you find this unique relationship, it is exceptionally special. With Pop, I feel this way. I know in my heart that I am more than just a granddaughter in law, I am his granddaughter. I know this because of the way he treats me. There isn't just the civil pleasantries that most of us share. It is much deeper. When he hugs me, he hugs me as if he doesn't want to let go. It is as if he is trying to tell me just how much he loves me. When he tells me he loves me, I can see in his eyes that he means it. There is no hidden agenda, no malice, no basic tolerance-just true affection. I can honestly say that this feeling is mutual and I am grateful to have this special relationship where we talk, share and are open with each other knowing that whatever the outcome we have each other.

And so, as I prepare for our dinner out for a private celebration, I rejoice that I have Pop in my life! I an thankful that just as the Lord painted this wonderfully unique sky, he blessed this unique relationship. Happy Birthday Pop, I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

telll Buster happy late birthday, it was my birthday, too!

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

Yes, Yes it was Aunt B. I hope you had a wonderful celebration too! Love ya!