Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Beef

Today we brought home 2 calves from the butcher and let me tell you it is a LOT of beef! I believe the calves dressed out at over 450 and 375 pds. We filled 2 deep freezers with these boys this year. Thankfully, we had cleaned out all the older meat and actually gone without beef for a couple of months. We are so glad that we have beef again. There is just no substitute for good old fashioned Cottle beef!

Another beef note, it is time to replenish the herd. We have recently separated the heifer calves to let them get big enough to replace some of our older mommas. We lost one mama this year and had to sell another that could no longer keep her babies alive cause her teets were too big. By this time next year we will have a total of 7 new mommas assuming we don't lose any with their first babies. This year we will also be investing in a few more cattle of our own to add to Pop's herd. This will be a new adventure similar to our garden last summer. Ranch life is good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds so yummy! let me know when you will be cooking up some burgers!
Love,
Aunt B

Alexander Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexander Family said...

Hey Lora! I have not talked with you in so long. I saw you had a blog when I was reading some of Tami's page.
Hope you don't mind but Cathi tagged me for a meme. I am tagging you now. I did not know what this was. So if you are like me then go to my blog for the instructions. I am glad I found your site.
Jennifer